Creating a forceful compare and contrast thesis is ranked among the most critical components of drafting this type of assignment. In essence, this kind of assignment is hinged on drawing out how two objects, persons, or ideas differ from or are similar to each other. It has a concluding part that shows the significance of how the objects under discussion differ or resemble.
Table of Contents
By drafting a thesis statement for this kind of assignment, you allow your readers to preview the results of the items you will be examining side by side. In addition, you permit them see through the advancement of your assignment and the line of reasoning and thought you will take. Additionally, your thesis for comparative essay will address critical questions that show your readers the value and merit of your comparisons.
Write a forceful thesis
To invigorate vigor your thesis, establish the direction of your comparisons. To achieve a sense of guidance, narrow your discussion to a particular area to arrive at a coherent thesis that you can easily defend within your word count specifications.
Compare and contrast features
Another key in crafting a good thesis statement for compare and contrast essay is evaluating the features of the two objects under discussion. Take time and look at and note down the qualities of each item separately so that you can get a clear direction to take. By doing this, you can know whether the two objects are more similar or they greatly differ so that you can write your statement. Without this, you won’t make an authoritative statement like, “Although desktop computers differ in many ways from laptops, they are still significantly similar to each other.”
Word Choices in Constructing a Thesis
While mastering how to write a thesis for a compare and contrast essay, it is necessary to utilize correct words. Why? Because words are powerful and using them in the right place and manner is vital in invigorating your thesis statement. When you use the right words in drafting your thesis, it becomes easier for your audience to see the merit and basis of your judgment.
Look at this example: “Whereas fathers clearly differ from mothers, the two parents’ role in child rearing is essentially the same.” Other forceful words to use are “although, while, and in as much as.” Phrases of this kind also create a strong connecting bond between the differences and similarities of the objects under discussion.
Placement of thesis in opening paragraph
Your thesis is the engine of your paper, and for that reason, it is necessary to position it strategically. Additionally, your readers need to see your thesis easily so that they can find a reason to continue reading your paper.
It is for this reason you ought to locate your thesis towards the end of your essay’s introduction or in its last sentence. It should be preceded by relevant information that builds up towards it to create a seamless flow and connection.
Compare and contrast thesis statement examples
This section contains some compare and contrast thesis examples to start you off.
- Primary and secondary school differ in numerous ways, and that fact can’t be ignored
- Solar power and hydro-electricity differ in numerous ways, and this reality deserves complete examination
- Basic and smartphones are different in several ways hence you can’t overlook that fact
- Desktop computers and laptops are different in many clear ways and that reality should not be taken for granted
- Although they bear some surface similarities, donkeys and zebras still differ in many evident ways
- Despite being similar in a few ways, Pele and Maradona also differ in many obvious ways
- While ducks and chickens differ in many obvious ways, they are still similar in some other ways
- Whereas university and secondary life differs significantly, they are still similar in some ways
- Whereas roosters differ from hens in a few ways, the two birds are still significantly similar
- Even though fixed landlines differ from mobile phones in some ways, they are still similar in many ways
Compare and Contrast Thesis Help From ThesisPanda
This article has shown you every needful insight that you require mastering the art of drafting a compelling thesis statement for a compare and contrast essay. It has also enabled you to answer questions such as “Which statement is the best thesis for a compare-and-contrast essay?” In case of deadlines, just talk to Thesis Panda. We are specialists in assisting students with all types of essay writing assignments.